Sunday, October 19, 2008

Okra Soup

Week two on my quest to have my lunches be soup made out of veggies from my www.greenling.com local box.  I looked at several recipes for okra soup and adjusted them to what I had on hand.

Okra Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 green bell peppers, diced
1-1.5 lbs okra, sliced
3 red potatoes, diced
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 14.5 oz can diced roasted tomatoes
3 cups cooked navy beans
6 cups vegetable broth
4 bay leaves
1 tsp dried oregano
3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.

Add onions, garlic, and green bell peppers. Saute until soft and fragrant.  

Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer over medium heat.

Simmer approx 30min.

No comments: