Sunday, October 12, 2008

Local Box Vegetable Soup

I've decided that over the winter, making a pot of vegetable soup to take to work for lunch during the week will be a great way to use many of the yummy fresh locally grown organic veggies that are delivered each week in my Greenling.com Local Box order. My plan is to concoct a soup from whatever I have left from the local box, after I plan my other meals. Here is my first go at it - it turned out quite well!  I like things spicy, so you may want to eliminate the Tabasco, or start with less and add to taste. I have been experimenting with different ways to make a nice broth without broth cubes, powers or pastes as I find many of them too salty for my taste. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Bragg's worked, particularly with the mushrooms, it made a simple, clean, and flavorful broth for the veggies. I threw the carrots in because I happened to have a few that needed to get used up, the soup would be fine without them as well.

Local Box Vegetable Soup 10/12/08 (makes about 5 quarts)
* indicates from my local box
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Onions, chopped*
4 cloves Garlic, minced
8 oz Mushrooms, chopped*
2 sm Carrots, chopped
1 Yellow Summer Squash, chopped*
1 Zucchini, chopped*
3 Red Potatoes, chopped*
1 lb Green Beans, cut into 1" pieces*
1 28oz can Diced Tomatoes
2 28oz cans Water (use the can from the tomatoes)
2 Bay Leaves
1.5 Teaspoons dried Oregano
3/8 cup Bragg Liquid Aminos
8 shakes Tabasco Sauce
Black Pepper, to taste

In a large soup pot (at least 5 qts) heat oil over medium heat.
  
Saute Onions, Garlic and Mushrooms about 10m, until onions are translucent.

Add Carrots, Yellow Squash, Zucchini, Potatoes, Green Beans, Tomatoes, Water, Bay Leaves and Oregano. 

Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook about 30 minutes, until potatoes are cooked through.

Add Bragg Liquid Aminos, Tabasco Sauce and Black Pepper. Cook another 5-10 minutes.

3 comments:

Michael said...

As a new Greenling and with the Local Box. It will be great to see what you discover. I do not take enough time to make fresh meals except a couple times a week. Cooking for one can sometimes be difficult.

Mylie Arnold said...

I agree cooking for one or two can be hard. I come from a large family and still always cook way too much so I make good use of our freezer. Most of the time I will freeze some which is great for those days I just can't find the time to cook.

Michael said...

I have done so in the past with large pots of bean soup, chili or some sort of Korma. Need to do it more often.

Do you start planning what you will do with the stuff in the box when the list comes out or when the food arrives